Bean and Kale Soup (serves 6-8)
2T Olive Oil or Butter
2 Celery Ribs, cut to 1/4"
2 Carrots, cut to 1/4"
1 Onion, Shallot, or Leek, finely minced
1 Bay Leaf
1-2t Fresh Thyme (use half this amount if using dried)
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/2lb Dried Beans, soaked overnight and rinsed OR 2 Cans of Beans (I suggest white beans, but you can use whatever suits your fancy)
3 Smoked Organic Sausage, or 1 Smoked Ham Hock
1 Bunch Kale, juilenned
Salt and Pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Saute for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until carrots are soft.
- Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds, til fragrant.
- Add stock, drained beans and meat, if using.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hours.
- When beans are soft, remove bay leaf. If using ham hock, chop up the meat.
- Add the kale, and simmer until tender, about 2 minutes. Kale should remind bright green.
- Taste, and season with salt and pepper to taste.