Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Eggplants and the end of summer


It's now September, and everywhere I look people are lamenting the end of summer. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, however, it seems that summer is just beginning! September and October are usually the nicest months around the Bay, and our harvest of summer produce doesn't show any signs of stopping yet! It's a local "secret" that during these two months, we have less fog and warmer temperatures that during the months of June, July and August.

Over this past Labor Day weekend, we spent a day BBQing with family at my future mother-in-law's home. There were many beautiful flowers in bloom, and as you may remember from previous posts, she also has a wonderful vegetable garden!

Gorgeous colors on this flower in her garden.
Another pretty flower in her garden.
I was so enjoying the company that I forgot to take many pictures, but we gorged ourselves on a feast of tomatoes with basil, grilled corn and grass-fed meats, and a huge salad full of just-picked lettuces. Before we left, she allowed us to raid the garden and take whatever we wanted. What I found was a wonderful patch full of eggplant!


I haven't cooked it yet, but I plant to roast it for one meal, then blend up the leftovers to make some baba ghanoush. Remember this post (from exactly a year ago) that explained my how to make both?

What was your favorite summer fruit or vegetable this year? Let us know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment