Tuesday, August 20, 2013

New Discovery - Black Rice!

Cooked black rice.
What are some of the staples in your diet? For me, I always have a selection of whole grains like farro, rice and quinoa around. A helping of one of those, with a big servings of veggies, is perfect meal!

I have many different types of these grains in my cupboards. I have red, white and black varieties of Quinoa - they each taste a little different, and I find that I prefer different varieties for different dishes. Although, sometimes I just mix the three together, and that tastes good too!

Grain selection in the "pantry" at our old apartment.
But when it comes to rice, my options had been pretty bland. There was brown jasmine, short-grain brown, brown basmati, and wild rice. But the other day at the grocery store, I noticed a variety I hadn't seen before - Black Rice! It cooks up the same as you would cook any other type of rice (1C rice to 2C water), and the result was a sweeter, almost nutty tasting rice that was a bit purplish in color. I had it for dinner with a helping of stir-fried bok choy and shiitake mushrooms, but I could easily see the black rice combining with root vegetables or pasture-raised meats.

What new foods have you tried recently? Tell us about it in the comment section!

No comments:

Post a Comment