Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Coconut Rice Pudding

Brown Jasmine Rice, stored in an airtight glass jar.
I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to use up my leftovers, and I came up with a great breakfast idea the other day! We almost always have plain brown rice or quinoa leftovers in our fridge, and there are SO many ways to use them besides the obvious side dish accompaniment to greens. On a recent cold morning, I decided to experiment with making a rice pudding for breakfast. And it turned out so delicious, I couldn't resist sharing it with you! Read on below...

It isn't so pretty, but I promise it's tasty!!
Coconut Rice Pudding (serves 2)
Ingredients:
- About 2C cooked rice
- 1 Can Organic Coconut Milk (I like Native Forest)
- Sprinkle of Cinnamon & Nutmeg
- Maple Syrup (optional, to taste)

Directions:
- In a pot, over medium heat, combine the leftover rice with the can of coconut milk.
- Heat until just boiling, then lower heat and simmer until most of the coconut milk is absorbed (about 20 minutes). Stir periodically so rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. If you want to chill and save the pudding for later, leave it more liquidy as it will thicken in the fridge.
- If you're eating it hot, like I did, spoon pudding into bowls, and sprinkle with spices and a bit of sweetener (if desired). The options are endless, but I think maple syrup works great in this recipe!

Like what you see? Sign up to receive my FREE monthly newsletter full of healthy tips and recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment