Monday, March 18, 2013

My favorite Thai curry, made at home!

I like to set up my ingredients ahead, it makes cooking easier!
Do you have a favorite dish that you always order when you're at a certain restaurant, because you know there's no way you could ever make it at home? That's how I always felt about Pumpkin Curry - my go to order at Thai restaurants. I love the flavor and textural combination of the red curry and the Kabocha Squash. Served over brown rice, it is sooo delicious.

At the Farmer's Market a few weeks ago, I bought an organic Kabocha Squash. I bought it because they were on sale and I wanted some winter squash for my photo shoot. (Btw, have you noticed my new profile picture on my website?) When I bought the squash, I had no clue how I was going to prepare it. So it sat in the cupboard for a few weeks. Winter squashes last a while, much longer than most produce, but I came to the realization that I had to do something with it soon or it was going to get soft. Enter my Thai food craving and the interwebs...

I searched for a Thai curry with Kabocha squash, and after perusing many recipes, I decided to use this one from J.R. Organics, a farm (and CSA) near San Diego, California. I made a few changes that are reflected below, but for their original version please click on the link. And if you're in Southern California, check them out!

Yum! My favorite Thai dish, made at home.
Be sure to prepare some brown rice to serve with this curry, you'll want it to soak up the delicious sauce!

Kabocha Squash Thai Red Curry (serves approx. 6)
Ingredients:
1 Kabocha squash (about 2lbs), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1” chunks
1/2 lb String Beans, cut into 1” pieces
1/2 lb Mushrooms (I used baby Portabella), cut into 1” pieces
1 medium Onion, chopped
3 cloves of Garlic, minced
1T Ginger, freshly grated
1T Coconut or Sesame Oil
1 Can of full-fat Coconut Milk, 13.5 ounces or about 1.5 cups
3 1⁄2 T Red Curry Paste
2T Tamari or Soy Sauce
1/2 C Water (or vegetable broth)
1 lime, juiced
Fresh Thai Basil and/or Cilantro (if desired)

Directions:
- In a large stockpot, warm the oil over a medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent and starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add squash and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the string beans, mushrooms, garlic, and ginger and stir well to combine.
- Add tamari and curry paste, continue cooking until very fragrant and well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk and water and bring the pot to a simmer; lower the heat to medium-low. Avoid boiling.
- Continue to cook over a low heat until the squash is easily pierced by a fork but not so long it turns mushy.
- When squash is done, add the lime juice, stir well, and check for seasoning. Add basil and/or cilantro if desired.
- Serve warm over long grain brown rice.

2 comments:

  1. YUM!! I wish I had this weeks ago-- Kabocha is gone over here in Chicago!
    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura you'll have to bookmark this recipe. It's so worth making next time you have kabocha!

    ReplyDelete