Monday, March 11, 2013

IIN LIVE in New York City!

Okay people, I'm not going to lie to you. You might have noticed I didn't post a new Zwick's Pick last week, and I feel like I need to explain myself. The truth is, the draft of this post has been up on my computer screen for a week now. Yes, my computer has been on for that long, I don't turn it off very often. I wanted to post my reflections on the IIN Conference I attended in New York during the first weekend in March, the problem was...I didn't know what to write.

My notes from the IIN conference, day 1 (top) and day 2 (bottom).
I'm old-school and still write my notes by hand.
You see, this was the third IIN LIVE event I've been to, and for the first time I felt (and still feel) a little overwhelmed by it all. With the exception of a few presenters (my faves being Dr. Frank Lipman, Danielle LaPorte, and Gabrielle Bernstein) the bulk of the conference focused on marketing strategies. Each speaker seemed to be authentic in their message, and believed in their way of doing things, but at times it felt a bit pushy to me. At no other IIN conference have I seen so many speakers promote themselves through "free, upcoming webinar especially for you!" as I did here. And while I can appreciate that they're doing it for us, to help us succeed in our health coaching businesses, it just felt like the wrong platform to me. I was at the conference to learn, not to be sold something.

But, as the cliche goes, I took what I liked, and left the rest behind. As you can see in the photo above, I took lots of notes. But if I were to sum up the weekend, the over-arching message I kept hearing was BE YOURSELF, and have ALIGNMENT among all aspects of your life. In other words, be yourself, and live your message. That, my friends, I can and will do. :-)

View of Columbus Circle and Central Park from our Saturday lunch spot.

Gabby, on stage and amazingly inspiring!

A chart from Dr. Lipman's lecture:
West views body as a machine, East views body as a garden.

The other conference attendees I met that weekend were all amazed that I flew to New York from San Francisco. And while attending the conference is part of my reason to fly across the country, I also do it so that I can visit my friends and family that live in Manhattan. This time I stayed with one of my cousins, who lives just three blocks from the conference location (score!). Having a short walk to and from was fantastic for this cold-weather wimp. I also was able to visit another cousin across the river in Hoboken, have a yummy organic, vegetarian dinner with good friends from high school, and I got to see my sister three times (including one dinner that was just us).

And so, my complaints fell aside and I left New York full of love and inspiration. Love for myself, those close to me, my clients, as well as our world and all beings that are a part of it. And inspiration to be the best version of myself that I can possibly be in this moment, and to share that with the world. To that end, I am full of gratitude that you're here, reading my recipes and musings on Zwick's Picks. Thank you!

My sister came to meet me for lunch on Saturday, and we had on (almost) the same outfit!
Gray sweater, black leggings, black boots - it's a good look!

No comments:

Post a Comment