Monday, January 21, 2013

Teriyaki Chicken Skewers

Only three left by the time I got a picture!
A friend of mine had a sushi-making birthday party recently, and she'd asked for everyone to bring different items to contribute to our meal. One of the things she asked for was chicken teriyaki skewers to have as an appetizer. I enjoy this dish, but so many times it means really thick, syrupy-sweet and sugar-laden teriyaki sauce poured over conventionally raised flavorless chicken. So I volunteered to bring that dish, because I knew I could make a delicious, healthier version of it. While most people will immediately opt for chicken breast, with a dish like this thighs are a much better choice, especially if you're grilling.

I found organic skinless and boneless chicken thighs at Costco (great for parties!), but I didn't want to buy a bottle of pre-made teriyaki sauce. I wanted to make my own marinade, so I looked over many different recipes, and what I used ended up being a mix of a few different things I found. Next time I make this I'll try using even less sugar, and since I forgot the sesame seeds this time around, I definitely want to add those! Overall though the skewers turned out really well, and are a great party food! I meant to take a photo when I plated them, as I had a huge pile of skewers, but they disappeared into bellies so fast that by the time I got my camera out only three were left! I guess people liked them. Hmm...Superbowl party snack perhaps?

Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
Ingredients:
~3lbs Organic Chicken Thighs, skinless and boneless
1C Organic Soy Sauce 
1C Water
3/4C Brown Sugar
1T Pressed Garlic
2T Grated Fresh Ginger

Skewers (bamboo works well, or metal if you have them)
Sesame Seeds for garnish

Directions:
*Note: If using bamboo or wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for about an hour, to prevent them from burning later.
- Mix marinade ingredients in a large glass bowl, big enough to hold all the chicken. Stir to combine, and be sure sugar is dissolved. Feel free to play with the amounts, nothing in this recipe is exact!
- Cut chicken thighs into roughly 1/2" to 1" strips, and submerge in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate, let marinate for at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours. The longer it sits, the stronger the flavor will be.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Thread chicken meat onto the skewers, and line them up on a pan or baking dish.
- Cook til done, about 30 minutes. Baste chicken with the marinade around 15 minutes in. Discard what's left.
- Put on serving dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. great super bowl ideas!! i love kale chips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Push.Pump.Progress! Aren't kale chips the best?

    ReplyDelete