Monday, January 7, 2013

Tamari Pumpkin Seeds

Pumpkin seeds, raw.
Pumpkin seeds, toasted and with tamari.

Looking for a new way to enjoy pumpkin seeds other than when it's Halloween? If I've been cooking winter squash (acorn, butternut, sugar pie pumpkin, etc.) I'll save those seeds to roast, and when it's not the season I'll buy the seeds raw in the bulk section of my local market. A great source of zinc, manganese, tryptophan and antioxidants, pumpkin seeds are a wonderful addition to your diet at any time of year!

They're great eaten as a snack or sprinkled them on top of salads, but I decided to try an asian twist on the pumpkin seeds using tamari. I know I like tamari almonds and I know I like pumpkin seeds, so this seemed like a no brainer. The part that seemed daunting was the fact that I would be toasting them myself. In a frying pan. Was I going to burn them? The thought of the smell and scrubbing cooked-on tamari off of my frying pan had me a bit apprehensive. But I gave it a go recently, and they turned out great. And a little soaking of the pan made it easy to clean. Now I have a delicious jar of snacks that travels well, even on airplanes!

Here's how to do it:

Tamari Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
Ingredients:
- 1C raw Pumpkin Seeds, rinsed and dried
- 1T Tamari

Directions:
- In a frying pan over medium heat, begin to toast the pumpkin seeds.
- Stir the seeds constantly, so that they cook evenly.
- When the seeds have turned golden in color, turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle the tamari over the toasted seeds, and stir to coat them all.
- When all the seeds are coated, leave them to cool in the pan.
- When cool, put seeds into a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Snack as needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment