Monday, October 22, 2012

Roasted Pumpkin (or Squash) Seeds

Roasted Seeds from a Sugar Pie Pumpkin
Last week I posted a recipe for Acorn Squash, and I told you to keep the seeds. Here is the post where I tell you what you can do with them. If you're cutting open any variety of squash or pumpkin this season, don't throw those seeds away! Also known as pepitas, and not just for October Unprocessed, these little guys are full of vitamins and minerals, and are quite tasty when roasted with a little olive oil and garlic salt (or any spice you feel like using). You can eat them right away, or store in an air-tight container for a couple of days. They'll lose their crispiness the longer they sit.

Some of the nutrients contained in squash seeds are: Protein, Calcium, Zinc, Mono-Unsaturated Fat (good for the heart), Vitamin A, Folate, Manganese, Trytophan, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper. Source: www.whfoods.org

What to do:
- Rinse the seeds and pat dry.
- Toss the seeds with just enough olive oil to coat. Not too much, or they'll be greasy!
- Add some salt, garlic salt, or chili powder, or whatever you want.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Keep an eye on 'em so they don't burn.
- Enjoy warm, or wait for them to cool. Either way, they're delicious!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so doing this tonight after we carve pumpkins! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I cooked it, it was burned. :( I forgot I was cooking as I was watching a Korean movie. :D But I love pumpkin seeds, and I heard they are good source of vitamin K. Am I right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all, I hope you enjoyed your seeds! Sweetlady - Set a timer next time so you don't forget, I know it's easy to do! And I haven't seen anything about Vitamin K being in pumpkin seeds, they are mainly high in zinc and the other nutrients mentioned above. The link you posted mentions natto and fermented dairy as being the best natural sources of Vitamin K.

    ReplyDelete