Monday, October 1, 2012

IIN Conference in NYC!


WOW! What an inspiring weekend I had in New York. The school I attended for my health coaching program (the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, for those of you wondering) put together an amazing lineup of speakers for us at our 2-day LIVE conference, held at the Jazz at Lincoln Center. As I sit here in my sister's Manhattan apartment on Monday morning writing this post, I am trying to put words to my experience. Flying out from California, I am so grateful that I was able to combine attending the conference with staying with my sister, spending time with a best friend from high school, and also seeing two of my cousins who I hadn't seen in WAY too long. I'll fly back to California tomorrow, and it's been a great trip that has left my heart full, and I feel re-energized to propel myself and my business forward.

Here was the lineup of speakers:
Andrea Beaman, Health Coach and Chef (trivia fact: she was on the first season of Top Chef)
JJ Smith, Nutritionist & Weight Loss Expert with an awesome energy
Kathie Swift, MS RD LDN
Joel Harper, Celebrity Personal Trainer, he really got us moving!
Dr. Daniel Amen, seriously amazing brain researcher and author
Mark Bittman, New York Times columnist and cookbook author
John Douillard, Ayurvedic expert
Sadie Nardini, Rock Star Yoga Instructor
Bernie Siegal, MD, Surgeon and creator of Carefrontation
Jane Ashley, MA CHHC
and of course, IIN's founder Joshua Rosenthal, and CEO Uri Feiner

When I signed up, I was most excited to hear Andrea Beaman and Mark Bittman. But I have to say, every single one of these speakers was amazing. I learned something from each and every one of them, and even though I was sitting on my butt from 10-4 for two days, I was never bored. The speakers were so engaging and they had my complete attention. I wish I'd been able to take photos, but the one I took didn't really come out and I got a stern talking to, so I decided not to risk it again.

Reviewing the pages and pages of notes I took (hello, hand cramp!), there are SO many things I want to share, but that would make for waaaaay too long of a blog post. So instead, here are some of my highlights:

- Having your health is having wealth. Without your health, you have nothing. Disease is not a normal state for humans - look at your symptoms, they're telling you something! (Andrea Beaman)
- Live your life with passion. Never forget your dreams. Love! (JJ Smith)
- There are more nerve endings in our gut than in our entire central nervous system. So our "gut feelings" really do matter! (Kathie Swift)
- Alzheimer's Disease starts 30 years before there are any outward symptoms, but it is seen in brain imaging scans. Our choices can either accelerate or decelerate the process. (Dr. Daniel Amen)
- As our weight increases, the size of our brain decreases. (Dr. Daniel Amen)
- What would happen if we reversed the prices at fast food restaurants so that a burger costs $4 and a salad $1? (Mark Bittman)
- That 80% of all the antibiotics in the United States are given to the 10 billion animals we eat each year. (Mark Bittman)
- To think of pure veganism as nirvana. It's on one end of a spectrum, and the journey is more important than the destination - eat more foods from plants and less from animals/processed foods, and even our small changes make a difference. (Mark Bittman)
- That 95% of our serotonin (what gives us our sense of well-being) is produced in our intestinal tract. So if the gut is blocked up, your serotonin production will be too. (John Douillard)
- Nobody is free of wounds, so don't hide yours. Charcoal under pressure can become a diamond! (Bernie Siegal)
- We're all mortal, so our purpose is not to help people avoid death. Our purpose is to help people enjoy life! (Bernie Siegal)
- Getting clear on my goals and how I'm going to achieve them. What do I want to have accomplished by tomorrow? By Friday? By Thanksgiving? By Christmas? In one year? In five years? In ten years? (Joshua Rosenthal)

I would love to hear which of my highlights are meaningful to you as well. Please leave a comment below to continue the conversation.
And as always, if you're interested in a free health consultation, send an email to LindsayTZwicker@gmail.com and we'll set it up!

3 comments:

  1. Good takeaways, sounds like a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time, I'm really glad we're living in an era where "slow-cooking" and the other back to the farm ideologies are starting to gain traction in main stream america. Can't wait to read your future blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. And I agree Grewitch - I love that the DIY and "back to the farm" movements are having a resurgence!

    ReplyDelete