|Ready to serve!|
- 1 Whole, Organic Chicken - check if you can get one at your farmer's market!
- Vegetables of your choosing: Carrots, Onions, Garlic, Fennel, Sweet Potato, Parsnip, etc.
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Chopped herbs of your choosing: Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, etc. (Fresh are ideal, but dried work just fine too.)
- Lemon, cut in half
- Bay Leaf
- Roasting pan with deep sides
Note: Any time you are handling raw poultry, be sure to wash your hands and any utensils well!
- If there are any, remove giblets (heart, liver, etc.) from the inside of the chicken.
- Rinse chicken under cool water, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Since your hands have touched the chicken, have someone (a partner, child or friend) pour some olive oil, s&p, and herbs onto the bird. Use your hands to rub this around til both sides and the inside of the chicken are coated. You can push some herbs under the skin as well, though this is not necessary.
- Put the lemon and bay leaf inside the cavity, as well as sprigs of fresh herbs, if you have them.
|Ready to go in the oven.|
- While chicken begins to cook, chop up the veggies you want to use. Toss them with oil and herbs.
|Chopped sweet potato, onion, carrots, garlic and herbs.|
- Return the pan to the oven, and continue roasting for about another 25 minutes.
- After 45 minutes total, check the temperature of the bird using a meat thermometer. Poultry should reach 180 degrees in the thigh.
- When done, remove pan from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. This makes for a juicier bird.
- Spoon vegetables into a serving dish, and cut up the chicken to serve it.
- Be sure to save all the bones and pan drippings if you're going to make soup! That recipe will be up next week, so stay tuned...It's been posted! Click here to learn how to make chicken stock.