Monday, September 24, 2012

October Unprocessed - Join Me!

Hello dear reader. You may or may not have noticed the new icon on the left of my blog. It's a button for the October Unprocessed Challenge, which is starting in less than a week. October is coming up fast, the first is next Monday, so it's time to prepare!!

Sign up to take the challenge with me!
As a little background, the October Unprocessed Challenge is the brainchild of Eating Rules founder Andrew Wilder, and this is the fourth year he's held the challenge. I first heard of it on the Facebook page of a fellow IIN alum, Cora Poage of Sexy Soul Wellness. I clicked on the link, and the second I read what the October Unprocessed Challenge was about I signed myself up. Last year 3,000 people took the pledge, and Andrew's goal for this year is 30,000. Will you join us?

This pledge has me really excited! I mean, most of you know that I already eat pretty healthy, but there are those lingering processed items in the kitchen that I keep going back to. Taking a pledge to omit those items for a month is so much more do-able than telling myself I can never eat them again, and the challenge is a great step towards raising my awareness even more about what I'm putting into my body. Throughout the month, here on the blog, I'll be talking (and taking pictures) about my experience with the Challenge. You guys are going to hold me accountable. I'm going to be real and honest. If I slip up, I'll tell you. But I'll also be talking about all the delicious unprocessed things I'm eating, too.

If you want to join me in doing the challenge, please leave a comment here and/or on my Facebook page. And also please sign up on Andrew's website, as that way he can reach his goal. He also sends out all sorts of helpful updates via email - not spam, I promise! And trust me, you can eat MUCH more than you think you can! His goal is to raise awareness of what's in our food via the "kitchen test," where basically if you could make it in your kitchen (you don't actually have to make it, just know that you could) you can eat it. If it takes a laboratory to create the food, then you can't eat it, at least not this month.

Another point he makes, which I am also a fan of, is that you can make deliberate exceptions. For example, if it's your birthday and you know you're going to want a special treat that does not pass the kitchen test, go ahead and eat some. If you have a marathon or triathlon and know that you need to eat your Gu or whatever, that's okay too. The point is that we shouldn't buy some processed food items at the market because we have an instant craving for it or because it's an existing habit. Take this month to explore your habits, and notice any differences that occur in your mind and body. And please let me know what you're experiencing via comments.

So join me, and take the October Unprocessed pledge! For a day, a week, or the whole month! And remember, leave a comment below or on my Facebook page. And please sign up on Andrew's page too!

No comments:

Post a Comment