Monday, September 17, 2012

Blistered Padron or Shishito Peppers

Blistered to perfection!
While sorting out our CSA bounty the other week, I came across a carton of Padron Peppers. I've ordered these at restaurants before, and usually they're very mild. But the last time I had them (with my sister in Los Angeles about a year ago) they were SO spicy that we couldn't even eat them. The very nice waitress took them back to the kitchen and off our bill, she could see how much we were suffering. My sister and I both had tears, were gulping water, and blowing our noses. Not a pretty sight. Apparently they are spicier when out of season, but when they're in season (like now - Aug/Sep) they are a very mild pepper.

Anyway, I now had some in front of me, so it was with some trepidation that I cooked them as an appetizer to dinner. This batch was mild and delicious, and making them is so easy and simple!

Directions:
- Rinse peppers and pat dry.
- In large bowl, toss peppers with enough olive oil to coat.
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pan (I used a cast iron) over medium heat. Add about a tablespoon of high-heat oil (such as sesame), just enough so the peppers don't stick.
- When pan is warm, add the peppers. Watch out for sizzling oil splatter. They will cook quick, so don't walk away!
- Keeping an eye on the peppers, turn them every couple minutes so they evenly blister.
- When they have enough blistering to your taste, put them back in the bowl and toss with sea salt.
- Serve/eat immediately! They're best when hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment