Monday, June 4, 2012

Lox and Eggs

Lox and Eggs, with a side of buttered Rye toast.
What was the first thing you learned how to cook? And who taught you? When I was a kid, on lazy Sunday mornings my dad and I would make scrambled eggs. We'd usually mix in some American cheese (loved it back then, now I think ICK) and called them "cheese eggs." As I got older, I took on more of the cooking role, and my dad decided to teach me something his family used to make when he was a kid: Lox and Eggs. I know, you're probably thinking that mixing smoked salmon with eggs sounds pretty disgusting, but I promise you this dish is pretty amazing.

Last weekend, I picked up some wild smoked salmon and local pastured eggs at my Farmer's Market. When I got home, I saw the onions sitting on our counter and had an "aha" moment - I was going to make my weekend meal from years ago! Read on below to learn how it's done...
Diced onions and smoked salmon, sauteed in butter. Smells so good!

Lox and Eggs (serves 1, adjust as needed)
Ingredients:
- 2 Eggs, from pasture-raised chickens
- 1/8 Organic Yellow Onion, diced
- 2-3 slices of Wild Smoked Salmon, diced
- Pat of organic butter

Directions:
- In a medium frying pan, over medium heat, melt a pat of butter.
- When melted, add the onions and stir.
- As onions are heating, crack eggs into a bowl and whisk til blended.
- When onions are soft and translucent, add the smoked salmon.
- Stir for a couple minutes, until the salmon changes color.
- Add the whisked eggs, and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until eggs are desired done-ness.
- Put eggs on a plate and eat. I usually add a piece of buttered whole-grain toast on the side.

Health Benefits:
Salmon and eggs from pasture-raised chickens are both rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which studies have shown to have many beneficial effects on the body. Notably, can Omega-3s reduce inflammation within the body, increase the health of your heart, and may even lessen a depressive mood and ADHD symptoms. Here's a link to WedMD, which has much more information on the benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids.

2 comments: