Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's Day 2012 - I learned how to make a frittata!

It was Mother's Day this past weekend, and this year I wanted to do something with my mom that was different. In years past, we've made reservations for either brunch or dinner at some nice restaurant in the area. While the meals were yummy and we had a good time, I think both of us had gotten a little bored with it. So this year, when I saw Food & Lifestyle Coach Jamie G. Dougherty (of jamie|living) was offering a Mother-Daughter Divinely Delicious Cooking Class, I knew we had to sign up! I was happy that my mom was also interested in the class, and I signed us up right away.

Me and Mom, about to eat our delicious lunch!
On the Saturday before Mother's Day, my mom and I met five other mother-daughter pairs at the Soul Food Farm in Vacaville, where we arrived to chickens and dogs running around the beautiful herb gardens. Jamie ushered us inside to a wonderful kitchen where we learned new recipes and fun cooking tips. She divided us up so that each mother-daughter pair worked on each recipe and could spend time doing something together. My mom and I were on the caramelized onion frittata. This was a total score for me, as I've been wanting to learn how to make a frittata for ages! They look intimidating, but it's really not that hard. If you can make scrambled eggs, you can make a frittata. I promise!
Weird lighting, but these were the same: Caramelized Onion Frittata - yum!
Me posing with our hard work.
Mom wanted a pose too.



The final products: A Divinely Delicious Lunch!!

The next day, because my boyfriend was so excited I had learned how to make a frittata, I got to try making one at home. It was a bit different on our electric stove after the professional-grade gas stove Mom and I used at the cooking class, but it came out pretty darn tasty. We received a bunch of spring onions in our CSA this week, so I used those and topped the frittata with some soft goat cheese when it came out of the oven. Notice how orange the frittata is? That's purely from the eggs, and that's what eggs should look like. Yolks aren't supposed to be pale yellow, they should be almost orange in color. The color is where all the vitamins and nutrients are, so the darker the color the more benefit your body is getting from it! Try to find eggs at your local farmer's market, or at least buy the organic, pastured eggs at the store. The difference in taste is amazing.

A good frittata starts with good eggs! We bought these at Soul Food Farms.
Done on the stove, about to go into the broiler.
Out of the broiler, topped with goat cheese and walnuts. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. I recently made my first frittata, they are great and very easy! Plus you can pretty much clean out the leftovers in the fridge while making a delicious breakfast or even dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great call, Jessica! Add a salad and you have lunch or dinner, plus you can use up leftover greens that are in the fridge. I love it!

    ReplyDelete