Monday, April 16, 2012

Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls!

One of my favorite weekend meals is to make an organic roast chicken. It makes the whole house smell delicious, and when cooked with root vegetables, you have a complete meal in one pan! The leftover meat works great for sandwiches, salads, For a pic, see my blog entry from Valentine's Day. One of these days I'll post my recipe for it, but today's post is about what I did with the chicken after we were done eating it...I made soup! This was my first attempt at making my own chicken broth, and I was very happy with how it turned out.

I used a recipe I found on the Weston A. Price foundation's website. They have a whole article called Broth is Beautiful that explains many of the health benefits of broth, and it included a yummy-sounding recipe for chicken broth. I have yet to try their beef and fish stock recipes, but those look good too! I followed the recipe, using the carcass from our roast chicken, though I omitted the feet and did not strain it at the end, except to remove the bones. Since the broth simmers away for pretty much a whole day, it was a great smell to have wafting through the house on a Sunday.


The broth was delicious on it's own, but in the spirit of the Passover holiday I wanted to try making matzo balls. I have such fond memories of delicious matzo balls, but for some reason I went the easy route and bought a matzo ball mix from the grocery store. Bad move. They looked great and had a lovely soft texture, but they had no flavor. Major disappointment. Next time, I am going to try this recipe for matzo balls, and I plan to add in the herbs and spices!

No comments:

Post a Comment