Monday, November 21, 2011

Roasted Broccoli

I love broccoli.  While I realize that might make me seem a bit odd to some of you, I really think the cruciferous vegetable is delicious.  When it shows up in my CSA box, I get kind of excited.  Cooked or raw, dunked into a dip or on it's own, I love the stuff.  That being said, I've been getting a bit bored of my usual recipes and recently did an online search to find new ways to prepare it.  I came across one for roasting, and became intrigued.  I usually steam or stir-fry broccoli, so the idea of eating the vegetable cooked yet still crispy (and even a little caramelized) was an exciting one for me!  I modified the recipe slightly, and came up with what you see below - my new favorite way to eat broccoli!


Recipe: Roasted Broccoli
Ingredients:
1 head broccoli (ideally organic)
3-6 cloves garlic, sliced
1-2" piece of ginger, minced
2T olive oil
1T soy sauce/tamari

Directions:
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees. Wash broccoli, remove bottom end of stem, leaving most of it.  Slice the entire head of broccoli lengthwise until you have edible-sized pieces.  This should look like a long stem with the floret at the top.  Place into a large bowl.
2. Put other ingredients into the bowl, and massage everything together with your hands.
3. Put broccoli on a baking sheet, and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes.  It's done when the edges have turned slightly brown.
4. Put on a plate, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment