Wednesday, November 9, 2011

New kitchen toy!

Blog post #2!
As part of my attempt to understand how my body handles different foods, I decided to do a fall cleanse.  It is not a fast, but a two-week attempt to eat whole, unprocessed foods and make some goals for changes in my lifestyle.  While I opted to not do the vegan version, looking back on my past three days I realize that I haven't eaten any animal products, go me!  My main goal was that I wanted to cut out dairy, sugar and caffeine to see how I feel.  My usual diet doesn't include much dairy anyway, mainly some yogurt, cheese and butter, but I wanted to see how my body feels without the stuff.

Another aspect of the cleanse is to get enough sleep!  I think I usually do pretty well with this, but I took advantage of daylight savings to shift my sleep schedule.  For the past few days, I've been going to bed before 10 and waking up around 6, and I must say - I feel GREAT!  Maybe it's just the full night's sleep, maybe it's the dietary changes, I don't really know, but there's something about this schedule that feels really good to me.

While doing the cleanse, we are encouraged to make lots of fresh juice and smoothies.  Thankfully, my roommate already had a juicer that I can use.  And my mom bought me a Vita-Mix blender for an early birthday/Christmas present this year (thank you, Mom!).  This machine is amazing, it can seriously make anything: hot soups, smoothies, ice cream, grate cheese, you name it!  It even comes with a whole bunch of healthy recipes to try.  If you're in the market for a new blender, you should give it a look.  And no, I am not paid by this company, I'm just really excited about the product!



For breakfast on the first day of the cleanse, I followed a recipe we were given for an Apple and Almond Smoothie.  It was a lot of liquid early in the morning, but the flavor was nice, and my new Vita-Mix blended it up perfectly!

Recipe for Apple, Almond & Spice Smoothie:
2 Apples, quartered
1C Almond milk
1T fresh rosemary (I didn't have any, so I didn't use this)
1/2T honey or agave
1/2T vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment